Monday, November 22, 2004

Record review

Can you still call it a record if it's not on vinyl? I feel kind of odd calling a cd a record, but I guess that's right. And "CD review" still doesn't sit well with me, what with my previous aversion to CDs.

Yes, aversion to CDs. Feel free to snigger over there *points to corner*

You done now?

Okay.

And another question. When you get a new cd, it is completely normal to listen to it say, three or four times. A day. For at least a week. Normal, yes?

Phew.

What did I say about the sniggering? Get it done, okay? I'll still be here when you're finished, and it's really hard to concentrate when you snort through your nose like that.

Where were we?

Ah yes.


Eagles of Death Metal.


I recently purchased the album Peace Love Death Metal, and frankly, have been unable to pry it away from my ears since.

I came across these guys in a roundabout way. I was watching Rage a couple of weeks ago, and they were having a very odd metal/taking the piss out of metal night. I was out of the room when I heard a song come on, and I just couldn't get the groove out of my system. Plus, it sounded kind of familiar. So I wandered back into the loungeroom, and was greeted with the sight of Josh Homme in a cut off shirt playing drums.

So, obviously, next step was buying the album.

Then listening to it obsessively for a week.

And then trying to describe it to people.

And then trying to write a review of it. Which could be seen as simply an excuse to trawl the internet(s) for pictures of Josh Homme.

But isn't, okay? Just so we're absolutely sure.

This album is funny, and dirty, and raw, and the guitars are fuzzy and everyone sounds like they're having a really good time.

The first single, "I Only Want You", is also the first track on the album, and really builds expectations for the rest of the album. Any song containing the line "I'm not gonna lie just to spare your feelings cos' watching you suffer feels much better to me" pretty much gets my vote for Sexiest Song Ever.

The album slows down a bit in the middle, with a dark and slightly twisted song "Midnight Creeper" at its' heart.

There are some reviews I've read which have been unkind to "Whorehoppin (Shit, Goddamn)" and I can see why, but I still get swept up in the rhythm and sleaze of it: "Smell those sweet, young things" and "Struttin' sluts through that whorehoppin' scene"

So, all in all, a damn fun album, which will probably stay grafted to my ears through the medium of headphones for a good long while. Alternate with Rated R by Queens of the Stone Age and any album by the Cramps for a truly good time.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?