Sunday, December 26, 2004

You are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world!

I finally watched Fight Club, after having resisted doing so for a long time.

I think it's the Pitt thing (but not really). I have never bought into the whole 'Brad Pitt is a big hunk-o-spunk, oh my god he's so gorgeous' thing, and as such, have avoided all of his films.

Okay, when I say 'all' I am exaggerating more than a little. I have seen some of his movies, and I realised that those that I have seen are (bar one) the ones in which he's been a character actor rather than a leading man.

Let's list them, and the reasons for which I saw them, shall we? Because lists are fun!!

"I am Jack's OCD."

Kalifornia
I saw this at the height of my David Duchovny obsession, when it looked like he was going to make the leap to movie leading man in decent films. Oh woe for the rest of his career (Return to Me and Evolution, I'm looking in your direction.) The fact that Mr Pitt was in it didn't even register with me at the time.

12 Monkeys
Hooooo boy. It took me a loooooonnnnnggggg time to get around to this movie. The Terry Gilliam factor was almost entirely wiped out by the Bruce Willis factor. But saw it, loved it, no blip due to Mr Pitt's turn. Great movie, though. Terry Gilliam is as close to god as I think humanity is ever going to get.

Se7en
Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a box. Is the only reason I saw this movie.

I have yet to see Thelma and Louise all the way through. I have seen the beginning, the middle and the end at various disparate points, but never consecutively in one sitting. In addition, I have also managed to entirely miss the whole Brad Pitt breakthrough cowboy thing about which I still hear so much.

So, as you see, despite my prior claims, I have not so much assiduously avoided any Brad Pitt movies, as not sought them out.

(Can I just note at this point, entirely off topic, that I am having an Austen moment. I am writing this entry with pen in a notebook, whilst staying with a couple of my acquaintance, under a pagoda in their grounds [or, more precisely, their backyard.] Oh, Austen, how you have warped my brain. That's what I get for reading Persuasion in one sitting this morning.)

Aaaannnnyway, removing ourselves from my delusion.

Fight Club.

The reason it has taken me so long to see this movie was really a) disinterest in what I perceived to be an ode to male empowerment (dudes - just a note - you run the world. I think that's more than enough empowerment) and b) disinclination to buy into the 'Brad Pitt plays against type! He sings, he dances, he ACTS!!' hype.

Do I regret that it took so long to see this movie? Do I take back my preconceptions?

Oh indeedy yes (and to a certain extent, mostly).

Fight Club has become the film that I quote. I watched it at home with nary a break. I swear I didn't breathe through most of it. I was astounded and blown away by the concepts, the direction, Meatloaf's tits. I covered my eyes in horror during some of the scenes (thought I probably would have done better to cover my ears - squelchy, cracking skull sounds are really difficult to get out of one's inner soundtrack.) I hung on every moment, and even though I knew the twist, gasped when it was revealed. I know I have to watch it again, and it's now in my top ten film list (which I didn't realise I had until I saw it!!). Most of all, I want to read the novel on which it was based. I know I really love a film when I think that (I felt the same way about Mystery Men, but bugger me if it's nigh on impossible to find the sodding graphic novels anywhere.)

Does this amazing film alter my perception of Brad Pitt, and make me eager to seek out his films?

Well, no, sadly.

Troy, people.

Troy.

Not even the skirts can save that one for me.

Comments:
Neb

I didn't write about it in that post because we hadn't watched it yet!! (We watched it a couple of nights later...)

But yes, Snatch is bloody (pun intended) excellent - I do find myself occasionally saying something in the gypsy/Brad accent, just because it's fun!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?