Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Carrot? What the? Oh alright then.

I have been sampling a felafel roll in every town and city that I have been to in New Zealand, as felafels seem to be the best food choice of the vegan in a world gone mad.

There are a few differences in the New Zealand take on this delightful foodstuff that I would like to point out.

1. In New Zealand, one of the standard 'salads' to go on the roll is grated carrot. Which, after the initial shock, is actually quite nice.
2. There's this whole thing with using pita bread and not rolling it but splitting it and putting the felafel etc in it. That's just weird and wrong.
3. Much along the same lines, I have had pide bread rolls split in two as the containers for the felafel etc. Also weird and wrong (and very hard to eat - the sparrows got most of that one).
4. Whilst grated carrot is standard 'salad' in New Zealand, tomato is not.
5. Most of the time the felafel is made fresh while you wait. Now that is absolutely beautiful and right.
6. Probably due to the above point, felafels are of a higher taste standard here.

The best felafel roll I've had was in Taupo, from a tiny little place that I only found on my last night there (oh woe is me). Just right and the felafels were crunchy and cooked through and warm and the sauces were fresh and the service to get this slice of heaven was absolutely fabbo. The view of Mt Ruapehu and Mt Tongariro over Lake Taupo whilst I ate it helped out a bit as well ;)

I have now made it an additional task for myself to continue sampling felafel rolls everywhere I go. It makes for a new way to orient oneself in a town or city: "Yes, I can see the museum and the botanic gardens, but where's the damn felafel house??!"

Comments:
Oh dear. I really had not noticed that. See? All things Kiwi are just seeping into my brain ;)
 
Slice of heaven - hahah luckily the tatt you got wasn't the footrot flats dog from that video clip!! MetalGirl
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?