Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Cats on a hostel's tin roof

Okay, the title is a stretch, but, well, it's my blog, not yours, so nernener.

I arrived in Napier today, and the first thing I noticed about this hostel (and additionally realised about the Auckland hostel) was that there was no hostel cat.

It's been a lovely reality of my trip that every hostel I've gone to has had a resident cat (or three) making themselves friendly to the backpackers. This has alleviated some (but not all!!) of my missing my pods angst.

In Wellington, there was Thomas (I think - will confirm when I get back there), an older ginger gentleman, whose favourite place was stretched across the printer on the reception desk - nice and warm. He used to live upstairs, but renovations had removed him from his old home, but occasionally he would sneak upstairs, and you would find him and put him in the lift and send him back to the ground floor to get fed and go to sleep.

He would also sit at the doors and wave people through in the morning and evening rush.

In Palmerston North, the hostel there had two resident cats, and an additional one who hung out there (neighbour's cat). These were all also older cats, and there was a short hair black and white (who would let you tickle her behind the ears and then when you least expected it go for the bite and scratch - awwwww), and a long hair black, who followed you around as you made and ate breakfast. The neighbour's cat was a ginger with only three legs. He would lie by the back door and stare at you until you gave him a scratch. I didn't even realise he only had three legs until the day I was leaving - he never seemed to move from his scratching spot in the sun.

In Taupo there was an absolutely gorgeous young chocolate point Persian with the clearest blue eyes. His favourite spot was across the reception desk when you were trying to check in or out ;) If you didn't give him a scratch, you didn't get checked in, his tail would get in the way!! I gave him a scratch in the special cat spot that makes them go cross eyed, and he tried to follow me out for more scratching!!

Comments:
ZuckerBaby my dear, I think its about time you started to post some "I went out and got drunk and shagged an entire Maori dance ensemble" sort of entries ;-)

Or are they going into your Very very Secret Diary, and not fit for general consumption?
 
Uncle Ogbo - I would post some of those sort of entries of the type of which you have described...

But it would be lying. I haven't gone out and gotten drunk (have had one beer the entire time I've been here) nor have I done any holiday shagging. I have really embraced the middle aged first ever overseas holiday mentality...

Sorry to disappoint. If it becomes an issue, I'll post some "embroidered" entries ;)
 
Well I'm glad someone mentioned that - I too was wondering when the drunk and disorderly stories were going to turn up! Come on give us oldies a thrill and make up a story if you have too... MetalGirl
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?