Sunday, January 30, 2005

It's about movies, honestly...well, mostly.

I have seen more movies at the cinema during my time(s) in Wellington than I had seen back at home in the last 6 months. Odd, yes? I guess you do some crazy things when you're on holiday (oh hold me back).

I saw Finding Neverland at the Embassy Theatre (which caused me to geek out a stupid amount, as it was at the Embassy Theatre that the Australasian premiere of The Two Towers and the world premiere of Return of the King took place). There was some meeping going on as I waited for the film to start, let me tell you. I think that's why I like the hostel where I'm staying in Wellington - I can walk outside and see the Embassy Theatre.

Where was I? Small moment of Peter Jackson worship got out of control there. It's hard not to do that in Wellington though, it is his home town, after all.

Ah yes. Finding Neverland. Rocked. Bloody excellent. I cried like a big girlie crybaby (note Johnny Depp pun. Ithankyo, Ithankyo). Go and see it, if you haven't already and it's still playing wherever it is that you reside.

I have also seen The Incredibles. Best.Movie.Ever. I have to see it again, but I will try and leave that for when I come back. It is such a bloody good film, and I'm peeved to see that it did not get an Oscar nomination for Best Film, but for Best Animated Feature. Humph. I reiterate my command - go and see it, if you haven't already and it's still playing wherever it is that you reside.

However, this run of excellence came to a grinding halt last night when I saw Alfie. Now, I pretty much knew what I was letting myself in for, but it was the only movie I could contemplate seeing at the time when I wanted to go to the movies (nothing, but nothing, could persuade me to see Alexander. I present to you Colin Farrell's eyebrows [and assorted other ridiculousness]. That is all.)

Now, I saw this movie for one reason only. The luminescent beauty that is Jude Law. He is truly one of the prettiest men of all time. There was a lot of the guh, fnurgh and meep in the viewing of this film. But nothing much else to it. It's worth seeing, as it is entirely centred upon Alfie, and there is, as a result, not a scene where Jude Law does not appear. However, it's probably only worth seeing on DVD. When it's a weekly.

I will have to see the original now to compare and contrast.

I am going to commit a hint of a spoiler here, so feel free to suddenly be distracted by something else if you are really worried about finding out something about the main character in this movie.

The character of Alfie is a selfish, self deluding, arrogant, misogynistic charmer who goes through a number of shattering experiences throughout the film - all of them brought about by his own actions. Okay? Okay. Keep this in mind when you read the following:

There were a group of teenage girls at the screening I went to, and I kid you not, this is their reaction to the ending of the film: "But Alfie was so nice!! He's such a sweetheart!! She totally didn't deserve him, what a bitch, etc".

*Bangs head against keyboard foiuhgvdofhbofvhpdzh*

What the fuck? Where did that come from? Who has the ability to turn shit into gold like that? I truly despair of young women - there seems to be almost a guarentee that women have to experience shit at the hands of men to be able to spot a bastard. Even a fictional one.

Sigh.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?