Friday, January 21, 2005

"A wizard is never late..."

Hobbiton, oh Hobbiton.

Yup. Went to Hobbiton today. Had a photo taken of me next to the party tree. Gazed around at a deeply familiar vista. Looked at hobbit holes. Stood outside of Bag End and stared down at the Party Tree and the lake, the baaing of (non startled) sheep and the lowing of cows and the quacking of ducks making up the background noise...oh to be a hobbit.

The set is not dressed, and the hobbit holes close up are obvious constructions, but you can see the shadows of Gandalf and Frodo, the dragon firework blazing across the lake, the children laughing and running, the dancing, Sam being mournful over Rosie...Hear "The Road Goes Ever On and On" in your mind's ear and in your mind's eye see Bilbo leaving Bag End...

Just wonderful.

In other news, I forgot to mention the hotness of the tour guide at Te Whakarewarewa in the last post. Oh yeah, boy, there was some serious hotness going on. Big emerald eyes, an aristocratic countenance, giant smile. Gulp. Wimped out of getting a photo of him, unfortunately.

Additionally, I have discovered (thank you, Information Site of Hamilton) that there is indeed a statue of Richard O'Brien as Riff Raff in the centre of town. I'm going to wander down there after I've posted this. Should be a giggle, if nothing else.

I sent a whole bunch of postcards from Rotorua yesterday (it seemed the thing to do), so I hope they get to everyone before I get back ;) Or at all (I'm a bit worried that I put them in the wrong sort of post box).

Comments:
What a shame you don't have a digital camera .. I want to see the photos of you in Hobbiton RIGHT NOW! You must be sooooooooo happy! Zuckerbaby under the party tree ... wow! We'll have to get the enlarged to poster-size when you return.

BTW - check out my blog - there are recent pod photos there. Just so you don't pine too much for them.
 
UncleOgbo - I only had the one photo taken of me, but took craploads of photos of Hobbiton itself. The photo of me in front of the party tree will probably turn out to be a photo of me in front of the party tree's trunk, but that's okay. Because I know I was there...
 
Neb - (like your profile, by the way ;)) The wrong sort of postbox could be the one that said "NZ Post" on it, when I had put "DX" stamps on the postcards, and the next day saw a "DX" postbox. I should have just gone to the post office, but that would have been sensible.

I'm envious of me too - I know that my brain has kept more information in it than I can access during my waking hours about Hobbiton, and I want it to give that information NOW!! I also want to print my photos, but as I now have over 10 cannisters of film, and I haven't labelled any of them (yes, yes, I know), I think I'll leave that until I'm back home.

Rambling much??
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?