Saturday, February 12, 2005

What fucker said "Och ay the noo"?! I'm surprised you can see me, you fucking wanker!

Every day in an unknown city or town can bring a surprise, a joyous experience, and a sense of the truly ridiculous yet fascinating and wonderful nature of being human.

I had undertaken to wander the streets of Dunedin today, since it's overcast but not bucketing down, and I'm ably protected by my giant red shiny anorak (I'm in love with my anorak. It's such a silly looking yet functional object. How could you not love it? Plus, warm. And, as I mentioned, bright red). It's my last full day in Dunedin, and I want to take one last full look around.

As I came down the hill from my favoured noshing spot, the Arc Cafe, I caught a gust of bagpipe music on the wind. But then it quieted down, so I thought it was just a store playing up the Scottishness of Dunedin (I'm sure you all know that Dunedin was settled by protestant Scots, is the gaelic name for Edinburgh, has a statue of Robbie Burns in the centre of the Octagon [with his back to the cathedral, I might add], and in one of the back streets, there is a Rob Roy Dairy store. Well, if you didn't know that before, now you do).

I turned a corner, and in front of me, the resultant music echoing down the street, was a full pipe band, practising their little tartan clad hearts out. And, just at the edge of my vision, was another band. Oh, and look over there! Several scattered musicians wandering disconsolately around the park, clutching their instruments to their fronts, buffeted by the sudden strong wind.

There was a cacophany of noise, different tunes played in different sections of the Octagon, all melding together as the wind whipped one way and then another. Sitting on benches, holding balloons, eating hot dogs, looking at the other bands - everywhere were men and women in kilts and long socks, covered by a variety of wet weather gear.

I found my way down to the sound shell, where a pipe band were in full swing. I actually quite like bagpipes when they're played well, and there's nothing quite like a full pipe band to get your foot tapping.

No, seriously.

I found someone to tell me what on earth was going on - I had abandoned my original idea that there was some sort of clan war going on, and the bagpipes were being used as offensive weapons (because, like any instrument, in the wrong hands they are deeply deeply offensive). My informant was a fully attired (though in tartan trousers, not a kilt) drum major, but I think the main reason I talked to him was because he was also a very tattooed and pierced, fully attired drum major. You can bet your sweet bippy that I got a photo of him!!

Anyway, today, Dunedin is hosting the annual Pipe Bands Competition. So there were always at least two bands playing and being judged, plus a number of other bands winding down or warming up. They play in a circle, facing each other, with the bass drum standing in the circle, slightly off centre. Then, when finished, they very smartly march off. I guess the judging takes into account not only the music and musical prowess, but also the presentation.

I watched until the last band played, and the placings were announced. After the last two bands had finished and everyone had drifted away, there was silence, broken only by the mournful sound of multiple bagpipes being deflated.

Comments:
In an odd co-incidence I also watch a pipe band, but in the middle of canberra on Saturday! I was was sorely tempted to walk about three feet in front of the marching bagpipers, as I think it would be fun to have your own pipe band blaring behind you as you did your shopping. At least all the people that meander slowly around the shops would get out of your way. MetalGirl.
 
MetalGirl, the weirdest thing is that this image of you somehow fits perfectly. It seems perfectly natural that you should walk down the shopping mall with a full pipe band accompaniment. /shrug/.
Neb, furtively posting from work....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?