Wednesday, April 20, 2005

New Zealand photos - South Island

Did I mention in my previous post that I'm putting the photos in a vaguely chronological order, according to when I went to the different places? No?

Well, just so you know, I'm putting the photos in a vaguely chronological order, according to when I went to the different places.

I hope that's clear now.

PICTON

This is my attempt at "artistic vision" on a bushwalk in Picton, out to look over the Queen Charlotte Sound (I think). It was very overcast and misty when I set out in the morning, but eventually got extremely hot. The views back towards the tiny port town of Picton, and out into the distant Sound were just amazing, and I managed to appreciate them despite my very sweaty tired state.

KAIKOURA

Faceted sea

This is a view of the multicoloured bright waters that incurred my wrath, due entirely to the ridiculousness of their overwhelming beauty.

I mean, really. What self respecting sea is ever that colour? Let alone that colour when it's all overcast and gloomy?

Seals

I swear that there is at least one fur seal that can be spotted in this photo. You had to stand 10 metres away from them (which, you know, understandable), but it was still a mind blowing experience to be standing on the same rocks where fur seals are sunning themselves. Just. Wow.

CHRISTCHURCH

Attack of the Alien Bee Horde

The bumblebees in New Zealand are freakishly huge. By huge, I mean "alien bees from the giant hive planet with a slavering evil queen" huge. I spent a lot of my time in gardens, chasing the damn things from flower to flower to get a photo, but none of them really worked out. I really like this photo because the light is so blown out.

The Wizard

I really dug The Wizard of New Zealand. A very funny guy, engaging and charismatic. He was probably the highlight of Christchurch - I went back and saw him again on my last day in New Zealand - a great note to leave on!

Parting Gift

This was taken on my last night in Christchurch. I had just had dinner at a lovely little organic Japanese restaurant and was walking along, feeling peaceful and happy. I glanced to my left, only to be greeted by a multitude of colours streaking across fluffy clouds and the remnants of a blue sky.

DUNEDIN

Drum major

I think. This is the guy who kindly helped me out when I was wondering what the hell was going on with the numerous pipe bands wandering the Octagon in Dunedin. I never did get his name, but I bumped into him later and discovered that the band of which he was part had come second in their division. So, good on him!!

Otago Peninsula EcoTour - Yellow Penguin

I wish I could say that I took this photo, but alas, I purchased it. I didn't want to use my camera for fear of setting off the flash (I didn't know how to turn it off) and scaring the wildlife.

ON THE WAY TO MILFORD SOUND

You know, I'm sure there's a name for these ranges of mountains, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. This is the moment when the two dimensional "oooh pretty" became the three dimensional "bloody hell the scale the majesty the gorgeousity" when I stepped out of the bus.

MILFORD SOUND

Check out the scale. Can you see the two teeny tiny boats? Those are the big boats that hold around 300 people touring Milford Sound. Plus, how ecstatically wondrous is that mountain?

Dolphins!!

I'm so chuffed that I managed to get a clear shot of the bottle nosed dolphins who kept us company as we came back into Milford Sound after we'd wandered out into the Tasman.

FRANZ JOSEPH GLACIER

Up close and personal. The glacier is absolutely astonishing, and the closer you get the colder it is. I wish I was fit enough to have climbed it, but even just standing at its face was an experience like no other.

Thus endeth the South Island teaser...

Comments:
Beaut photos, oh great and wonderful niece of mine!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?